Local News Sucks - A Teeny Tiny Rant
I felt encouraged while watching the local news this evening when I saw a votenova.org commercial against Virginia's proposed marriage amendment. Amid all of the campaign negativity that's all over the tv these days, I appreciated seeing a positive alternative.
That being said- the reason I tuned into the local news tonight was for an exposé on a local nightclub. Several weeks ago a woman was denied entrance to a Virginia Beach nightclub due to their very strict dress code. At this particular club, hair is a part of the code. Cornrows, dreads, braids and twists are banned. It also includes no baggy pants, shirts, and no Timberlands. The dress code has been branded racial; the ACLU has gotten involved; there's a potential lawsuit in the future.
In the undercover investigation tonight, the news station sent in two guys dressed almost identically- one white, one black, both in Tims- to see who got in. Obviously the club failed their test, otherwise there'd be no story. When confronted, the security guy at the door claimed he'd stepped away for a minute and told the undercover patrons to go get the man who was let in and he'd get a refund because he was not dressed properly.
I have my opinions on this whole story, but I'm too close to it to be completely objective. Any thoughts, opinions? What are club entrance rules like where you live?
On the same station tonight a plug for another exposé due to air on Monday disturbed me. Voiceover: "There's a controversial after school club. No, it's not the chess club or the debate club. It's the (black type over group of kids in a classroom) GAY-STRAIGHT ALLIANCE." Cut to some redneck talking about how he "thought his kids were protected." Voiceover continues: "What do you think? Are you children in danger? Are some people just overreacting? 10 On Your Side investigates!" Good Lord. I pray for the day when Virginia and its media move into the 21st century.
-icee, flipping to the Food Network



No comments:
Post a Comment